Sai Baba Nine Thursday Vrat Story
Rules to be followed for Sai Baba Vrat:
1. Any woman, man or child can do this vrat.
2. This vrat can be done by any person without any difference of caste and creed.
3. This is a very miraculous vrat. Desired fruits are obtained by doing it for 9 Thursdays according to the rules.
4. This vrat can be started from any Thursday by taking Sai Baba’s name. One should pray to Sai Baba with complete devotion for the fulfillment of the desire for which the Vrat is done.
5. Sai Baba should be worshiped in the morning or in evening. Sai Baba’s photograph should be placed on a yellow cloth. Clean the photograph with clear water. Tilak of Chandan (sandalwood) and Kumkum should be applied to the photograph of Sai Baba. Yellow coloured flowers or garland should be offered to Sai Baba, incense sticks and lamp should be lighted and then the main story of the vrat must be read. Sai Baba’s name should be remembered and then prasad should be distributed (prasad may consist of a some sweet or fruits).
6. This vrat can be done by eating only fruits ( it may also be done by consuming milk, tea, sweet, etc) or it may also be done by having lunch or dinner. But it should be remembered that the vrat should not be done by not eating anything.
7. If possible one should go to Sai Baba temple and if it is not possible then Sai Baba should be worshiped at home only with complete devotion.
8. This vrat can be continued even if one is out of his/her own town.
9. During this vrat if women are going through menses or if by any reason one Thursday is missed, then that Thursday should not be taken into consideration for 9 Thursdays. Another Thursday should be taken into consideration and then concluding ceremony should be perfomed.
Procedure for concluding ceremony :
1. On 9th Thursday the vrat is concluded. Five poor people should be fed (as per economic condition)
2. To increase the importance of Sai Baba and this vrat 5, 11 and 21 (as per economic condition) Sai Baba Vrat Books should be distributed among family and friends. In this way the vrat is concluded.
3. In the concluding ceremony, by distributing the Sai Baba Vrat Books increase Mahima of Sai Baba and we get His blessings.
4. On the 9th Thursday the books, which are to be given to our family members and friends, should be kept in pooja and then it should be distributed so that others and ours desire are fulfilled.
Sai Baba devotees have a strong belief that anyone who does this vrat according to the above procedure and concludes it in the same manner as stated here, Sai Baba fulfills all their desires.
Sai Baba Vrat Story:
A woman named Kokila lived in a city with her husband Maheshbhai. Both of them had love for each other. But Maheshbhai’s nature was quarrelsome. He did not have sense of speaking. Neighbours were fed of Maheshbhai’s such nature, but Kokila was religious woman. She had immense faith in God and she suffered everything without uttering a single word. Gradually her husband’s business declined and the earnings were also negligible. Now Maheshbhai did not go anywhere and stayed back at home. Moreover he was drawn to wrong path. Now his quarrelsome nature increased two fold.
It was afternoon time. An old man came and stood in front of the house of Kokila. He had a strange glow on his face. He demanded dal-chaval (lentil-rice). Kokila gave to the old man what he demanded and folded her hands before him. The old man said May Sai bless you with happiness. Kokila said there is no happiness in my fate and narrated everything about her unhappy life to the old man.
The old man explained the Vrat for 9 Thursdays. The vrat can be done by eating fruits or by taking lunch or dinner. If possible go to Sai Temple or otherwise worship Sai Baba at home for 9 Thursdays, observe fast and donate food to the hungry people and distribute 5, 11 and 21 Sai Vrat Books according to your economic condition. If you increase the importance of this Sai Vrat, Sai Baba will fulfill all your desires. But you should have deep faith in Sai Baba and have patience in your mind. If anybody does this Vrat and duly performs its concluding ceremony, Sai Baba fulfills his/her desires.
Kokila did the Vrat for 9 Thursdays, distributed Sai Vrat books and fed the poor on 9th Thursday. Now all the quarrels in her home had disappeared. There was complete happiness as Maheshbhai’s nature had changed. His business now came back on track. In a short period, their economic condition also improved and everything became fine. Both husband and wife started living their life happily. One day Kokila’s brother-in-law and his wife came to their home from Surat. Casually talking they told Kokila that their children do not study well. They have failed in exams. Kokila told them about the importance of Sai Baba Vrat for 9 Thursdays and said that by worshipping by Sai Baba their children would be able to study well. But for that you should have deep faith in Sai Baba. Sai Baba helps everybody. She explained the procedure for the vrat which is as follows:
– This vrat can be done by eating fruits or by taking lunch or dinner.
– If possible go to Sai Baba temple for all 9 Thursdays.
– Any woman, man or child can do this vrat. Worship of Sai Baba photograph should be done for 9 Thursday.
– Offer flowers, light incense sticks and lamp, chant Arti and remember Sai Baba’s name and distribute prasad.
– On 9th Thursday feed poor people.
– On 9th Thursday distribute Sai Baba Vrat Books among family members and friends.
After few days Kokila received a letter from her brother-in-law’s wife that her children does Sai Vrat and have started studying hard. She herself did Sai Baba Vrat and distributed the books in her husband’s office. She added that due to Sai Baba Vrat her friend’s daughter’s marriage was fixed in a very nice family. Moreover her neighbour’s ornament box was lost somewhere. As a result of Sai Baba Vrat someone came and returned the box after two months. In this way such miracles happened.
Now Kokila came to know that Sai Baba is really very great.
O Sai Baba please shower Your blessings on us as You have showered on others.
Nine Thursdays Sai Baba Vrat – FAQ’s
Sai Vrat for Nine Thursdays is becoming popular day by day. Many devotees have been benefited by it and the list goes on increasing day by day. But there are many doubts regarding this vrat. I am receiving mails regarding such doubts from Sai brothers and sisters, so i decided to post them on blog instead of answering to all questions individually. I have tried to club as many questions as i could. Still if any of your questions are unanswered or not covered in this post, you can ask by commenting under the post. Please be noted that i am answering to questions/doubts to the best of my knowledge and experience but leave it to Baba to decide whether they right or wrong. Also please pardon me if any of the answers are wrong. Suggestions and corrections are readily welcomed. I request devotees to post their queries/suggestions/corrections as comments to this post only.
1. Where do I get Sai Vrat Katha book?
Many devotees have got desired fruits from this Vrat. By word of mouth it is becoming very popular and it has won trust of many devotees. Every devotee desiring to do the vrat has this foremost question in his/her mind. Well now a days Sai Vrat Katha book is easily available in shops nearby Sai Baba temples in India. Please be noted that Sai Vrat Katha books are not published by Shirdi Sai Baba Sanshtan.
2. Why should I observe fast if not recommended by Baba?
This question will certainly arise in a devotee’s mind who has read Sai Satcharitra. I too agree with the same. But also on the other hand i have experienced miracles by doing this vrat. More than materialistic things for which i started the vrat, i got to see spiritual aspects. It seemed as a chance to me get more close to Baba. It is not unknown that Baba pulls His devotees by fulfilling all their wishes and then make them His forever. I request devotees not to do this Vrat just to test Baba. Only thing needed is full faith on Baba and He is sure to sail us across. In the end i leave it to reader’s discretion to observe this fast or not.
3. Who can do this Vrat?
Anyone whether male, female and even children can do this Vrat. Old and Sick persons can avoid it. Still if its devotee’s wish to do Vrat, Baba will take fullest care! Devotees of any caste/religion/creed can do Vrat only full faith on Baba is required.
4. Should i start this Vrat from any special day?
There is no such rule. It can be started from any Thursday by taking Baba’s name and seeking His help and grace for desire for which the Vrat is taken up.
5. What is the procedure of Vrat?
Sai Baba must be worshipped in morning or in evening. Sai Baba’s photograph must be placed on a yellow cloth. Clean the photograph with clear water. Tilak of Chandan (sandalwood) and Kumkum must be applied to the photograph of Sai Baba. Yellow coloured flowers or garland must be offered to Sai Baba, incense sticks and lamp must be lighted and then the main story of the vrat must be read. Sai Baba’s name must be remembered and then prasad must be distributed.
6. What else should be read/chanted apart from Vrat story and Sai Baba Arti?
Again there are no hard and fast rules in this. Sai Baba Arti is sufficient, still if you wish you can chant Sai Chalisa and Sai Bavani given in Vrat book.
7. What can be given as Prasad?
Prasad may consist of some sweet, dry fruit or fruits.
8. What can be eaten in this Vrat?
Vrat can be done only by eating fruits, sweets or drinking milk, tea or coffee. It can also be done by taking one time meal in evening. It should not be done by not eating anything. A devotee had asked me whether she can eat potatoes, cucumber and tomatoes during this vrat. The answer is yes.
9. Is it compulsory to visit Sai Baba Temple?
No it is not. But it is preferred. If any unavoidable circumstances exist then Baba can be worshipped at home only. Only thing required is full faith!!!
10. Can i do Vrat if i am not at home or when I am travelling?
Yes you can. Baba has not laid any compulsions for worshipping Him. This applies in this Vrat also. Again only thing required is full faith!!!
11. What if i miss any Thursday(s) due to unavoidable circumstances?
That Thursday(s) should be skipped and following Thursday(s) can be considered in counting Nine Thursdays. The same applies for women if they are going through menses.
12. Is it compulsory to conclude Vrat on nineth Thursday?
Yes it is.
13. How Vrat is concluded?
Vrat is concluded by visiting Sai Baba temple on nineth Thursday, feeding five poor people and distributing 5,11 or 21 Sai Vrat Katha books to your friends and relatives to increase Sai Mahima.
14. What if Sai Vrat Katha books are not available for distribution?
As said earlier they are easily available in India. For devotees residing abroad they can mail scanned copies of books. Before giving/sending Sai Vrat Katha books please make sure from the recipient that he/she will do Vrat.
15. What if I cannot feed poor people?
Devotees residing abroad generally face this question. In such cases devotees can request their relatives to feed poor people in India on their behalf. If they wish to do the same themselves then they can keep food articles in any nearby Sai temple and request temple authorities to offer these food articles as prasad. They can also give food donation to any Sai temple or directly to Shirdi Sai Baba Sansthan Easy Donation Facility.
16. What if I reside abroad and cannot do Vrat on Thursday being a working day?
I got a mail asking this question from a lady Sai devotee. Let me first her question with you. She asked, “Dear Hetal, Om Sai Ram. I have done this vrat a year back and had amazing results. Can I ask you a question? We reside in Dubai and for us to do the vrat on Thursdays becomes a bit difficult as our weekends are on Friday/Saturday. Can this vrat be done on any other days, e.g. every Wednesday or Sunday?? Kindly advise. In Baba’s yaad.”
This is Nine Thursday’s Baba’s Vrat, so it cannot be done on any other day. The reason is quite logical and i dont think i need to explain. Well, in this case, it can be advised that if the lady cannot do Vrat on Thursdays, being a working day, she do vrat by eating recommended food in point 8 above and take one time meal in evening, thus not being hungry whole day!!! If this also does not work, she can avoid doing Vrat. Baba has never advised fasting in adverse circumstances, she can pray Him whole heartedly to fulfill her wish. It is not true that Baba fulfills wishes and desires of only those who do Vrat.
17. What if there is some tragedy in my family and if i need to do the Vrat?
I received this mail from devotee of Nasik – India
Om Sai Ram Hetal Ji, I want to be a true Sai Devotee and at the holy feet of Baba all the times. I will be very grateful to you if you solve my one query. Unfortunately I have lost my mother in last month on 6th July, 2009. Now from next Thursday (13.08.09) I want to start Sai Vrat of 9 Thursdays. Is it correct to start to the Vrat. My friends are saying to wait for 1 year. But I want to do something for Sai as early as possible. Please tell me a way out. !! Om Sai Ram
After consulting my mother in this regard, i answered as thus:
Since it has been more than one month for the tragedy, the devotee was allowed to do the Vrat and there was no need to wait for one full year. Only the time period to wait is about 13-16 days as per Hindu tradition. For other castes, it depends on their traditions and practices.
18. What can be used if you do not get Kumkum or Sandalpaste?
I received one mail asking the above question. There are no hard and fast rules for Vrat so it is fine if these things are not used.
This list of questions is includable. As and when any new question comes my way, it will be posted here. Please feel free to ask your question and i will try to answer them.